Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Year of the HOLIDAY!

I love New Years and all the hope it brings for a fresh start! I love everything about it! Spending time with family, eating, making resolutions! I know a lot of people are cynical about resolutions. I'm not and I'll tell you why. I think that anything that prompts people to be better - even just for a little while - is a good thing!

This year we also made family resolutions. Just things that we, as a family, would like to work on. I told Matt and the kids on Sunday that we would be doing that for Family Home Evening so they had some time to think about what we should be doing.

Here's what we came up with. Christian asked that we be a little more consistent with giving allowance to them. We usually don't have cash, so we go a couple weeks and then give them a lump sum. Or we forget. :) That's a big theme of our resolutions, more consistency.

Matt asked that we make more traditions as a family and really enjoy our holidays. That was so funny that he said that because that is exactly what I had written down! I officially dub 2009....

THE YEAR OF THE HOLIDAY!!!

This may sound superficial but it's really not. ;0 Holidays are fun days to do things that you wouldn't normally do, it doesn't have to be big, just out of the ordinary. And it'a all about families and spending time together. I have wonderful memories of holidays and all the fun things we would do together and I want our kids to have wonderful memories and traditions to take with them when they have families of their own.

Our other resolutions are:

Less tv - more family time
Eating healthier
Family outings at least once a week
Be more kind to one another

Throughout the year we'll probably touch back on these and see how we're doing, or maybe do an activity to help us remember.

My own resolutions are pretty much the regular stuff. Lose weight. Be more patient. Save money. Yada-yada-yada. Nothing out of the ordinary. And even though it may only last two weeks, I'm excited to get started on them!

No comments: