Wednesday, July 19, 2023

The week with no pictures

I’ve been a terrible picture taker the past few days.

On Saturday Matt and I woke up early and headed up to the Marriott Ranch for Trek training. It was really good to see it and know sort of where we’ll be. We got some training and asked questions, then couples were divided into two families and we put carts together and did the challenge pull. 

Once we got to a hill we were asked to be silent, then one by one they pulled the men off the handcarts until it was just the 6 of us women pushing and pulling that wagon up the hill. It was much more difficult that I thought it would be. I enjoy a good challenge, but there were many times I didn’t know if I’d be able to keep going. We talked about how it would have been helpful to know how much longer we had to go, but as in life we usually don’t know how long our trials will last. 

One of the talks we’ve been asked to study is United in Accomplishing God’s Work by President Bingham. She talks about the divine plan of men and women working together, and how we can do so much more when we do - neither is greater than the other, they complement one another. To that end, as ma’s and pa’s we are to show the boys how, even though they can’t push the cart, they can help. They can carry things from the cart - although I will say I didn’t realize they had taken things out until I saw men ahead of me carrying water and food box - it was till crazy heavy! They moved big rocks and sticks, fanned us, chalked the wheels as soon as we stopped, and had our waters ready. 

There are fewer girls than boys attending trek, so I think the ma’s will have to help the girls. I’m interested to see how this will go. Testimonies grow the most during the difficult times. We’ve planned and talked and been trained and I’ve been feeling all week like let’s just do this already! I’m anxious to go. 

Matt and I read through the trek handbook and listened to the talks and planned on our 2+ hour drive there and back. We stopped at Cafe Rio on our way home and that was delicious and nice just to sit together and drink all the horchata our little hearts could handle. 

We found all the assigned chores done at home, in spite of the text we’d gotten about Frankie and Delaney screaming at each other. We went to the pool to cool down after our long day, but they pretty quickly closed it because they heard thunder. 

I was in our ward on Sunday. After church Johnna sat down with adi and showed her how to play the organ and Adi played her first hymn while Johnna sang. ❤️

It was all hands on deck when we got home. We worked together to make some desserts for my Young Women to Relief Society Transition Forum that evening. Then that evening the sister missionaries, Katie, and Porter twins came over and we picked up Anna and headed to Amber’s house. 

For a long time, even as a ward president I felt like we could do a better job helping our young women prepare for relief society. If the aaronic priesthood is preparatory, then surely young women should be preparatory as well. I told the girls we were interested in their honest thoughts and opinions and they wouldn’t hurt any feelings and it was all confidential, then we asked how they felt about RS, where they got those ideas, how they’d like to be treated and how we could help them feel better prepared and more excited. We had Chrissy De Atley there taking notes since we don’t have a secretary and we got some really insightful and thoughtful responses. 

One thing is that we don’t talk enough about what RS actually is, our purpose and origin. The girls sort of knew little bits, but not because anyone talked to them about it, including their moms. They all agreed they’d feel more comfortable with a buddy as they start attending, which is the same no matter the age. And interestingly they didn’t think of their YW leaders as being part of RS. We talked about how they are comfortable with their leaders because they have an established relationship, and how that is needful in RS too. Anyway, it was good and I’m excited to take that and learn and hopefully make some things happen. 

Monday and Tuesday were Trek prep days. That includes house prep for the days we’ll be gone. 

Monday night we had Darrows over for salmon and home evening. 😂 we had talked about Matt’s salmon grilling prowess and how we needed to have them over to enjoy it and then salmon was on sale over the weekend so it all worked out. Matt didn’t end up getting home till 6:30, so it was a later night than anticipated, but still great. 

One of Frankie’s good friends had been trying to coordinate a birthday party and with trips and non Sunday availability, Monday night was the only one that worked, so we missed her for salmon night, but she had a good time celebrating Jaidyn. 



Tuesday morning I met Alecia at the gym for my first ever spin class. She gets an extra entry into a drawing when she brings a guest, so I had to help her win. I took it very easy in anticipation of trek and I’m happy to report than the only place I’m sore is my bum from the seat. It was an hour long class and even taking it easy was a good workout. 

Then we met Johnna and her boys at the pool for pizza, then Cyndi and crew brought ice cream and it was a fun afternoon at the pool. 

I came home after 2 hours to shower and continue packing and preparing. 

Dad rolled into town and said let’s go pick up dinner, so we popped into Food Lion for movie snacks for the girls for tomorrow and then Arbys for dinner. We’re so grateful he was willing to come up and watch Frankie and Delaney. They’re going to have a blast. 

And this early morning I’m doing my can’t sleep before a trip routine. 10/10 do not recommend, but that’s been my MO for a few years now, so 🤷‍♀️. Our bags are packed and we’re ready to go. Bring it, Trek!

No comments: