Sunday, July 9, 2023

4th of July 2023

We had planned to meet Dan and Chantel for a DC 4th of July, but Chantel texted the day before and said she’d twisted her ankle and couldn’t go. We knew Dan would want to be home with her as soon as he was done with his parade, and DC is always more fun with friends. We also had a busy week of fun, so we plan B’d it and stayed home. We went to the ward 4th of July brekkie for the first time ever. Several of us have these cute earrings that Colleen sold a few years ago, it’s always so fun to triplett! We had to have Mike take several shots to get a usable one. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Sweet little baby D popped up in my Facebook memories. 

Chelsea went to scout camp and needed some things restocked in her shop and rent paid, so Adi, Lily, Matt, and I went over o the Old Field Market and Adi restocked and we looked around. 

We sent chelsea evidence of a job well done.

I spent the rest of the afternoon making food for the festivities that night. Then we headed to Solomon’s at 6:00 and found a parking spot easy peasy. 

Alecia and Sarah had staked out a nice space for us and we all played games and visited. 

The 13-year-old crew. 

Curtis doesn’t love a lot of pictures, but he’s such a sweet boy and always humors me. Straight thug life up in here. 

What’s a mom selfie? A momie? Or momlie? 

Solomons island really is one of the prettiest places. Every time I go there I wonder why I don’t go more. Christina and I ran a loop around it when we trained for our marathon and I’m gonna do that again if I can figure out how we looped. 

Scattergories! I helped Frankie a bit, which just consisted of me reading the category and encouraging her to write down her ideas. She often just needs someone to get her executive function functioning. And help with tricky words. 

We had all of our dc 4th of July food, so pasta salad, veggies and fiesta ranch, watermelon, strawberry pretzel salad, chips, and soda. I love picnic food. And cold weather food and comfort food and fast food. Really all the foods. 

I had lots of fun 4th of July memories pop up, so we had to recreate this one from 6 years ago. I had them study it and then fixed what didn’t match. Lily and Abby both had flags that year, and both had USA shirt this year. Both years adi was the odd ball. Same height differential. They pretty much nailed it. 

Someone had glow sticks and we had sparklers my realtor neighbor Heather dropped off along with a gift card thanking me for referring my next door neighbors whose house just sold. Heather is the sweetest and I’d refer her to anybody!

We have each of the kids a pack of sparklers and we brought a lighter, but they lit best off of another sparkler. The kids were all v responsible with their sparkler disposal and we didn’t have any burns (at least that I know of).

The fireworks were fun and I loved cuddling up with Matt and Delaney on our blanket to enjoy them. Matt decided he’d rather wait out the crowds a bit, and it was a lovely night and a lovely place so that was fine. After 29 minutes or so they let off another fireworks show, so that was a fun surprise. 

I love this James Baldwin quote - 

“I love America more than any other country in the world and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

I’m so grateful to be an American, I know this is a choice land. She’s not perfect, but recognizing that doesn’t mean I don’t love her. I was an Army brat, am a Navy reservist wife, an Air Force mother-in-law, and an Army mom, and I’m proud of all of those things. Happy birthday, America!๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

No comments: