Wednesday, September 29, 2021

The big fat covid post

I’ve put off writing about this for a long time, and I’m glad I did. I’ve gone through every emotion in the book and I didn’t want to write from a place of anger or blame. 

So. Lexi and boys met us in NY August 5. We went into the city and cuddled on babies and had a nice few days in NY. We left their house on the 9th. We stopped at a fun grocery store and met Alli at 6 Flags until we got rained out, and then like 4 happy ladies, plus a happy Lu and boys, we came home. 

We stayed in most of Tuesday. My dad took Lexi and girls to salsas for lunch, and I stayed home with napping boys. I texted with some friends about getting together that day, but I was feeling weird and discombobulated about covid, and not sure how comfortable I was spending time indoors with people. But that night we decided to get out of the house and go to RS at Tracie’s house. We brought masks and even as we were driving there we debated about wearing them. In the end I decided not to. There are so many emotions and opinions and I knew we’d be the only ones in masks. 

On Wednesday Sarah and kids, and then Erick came over. For youth that night I took Adi and Abby to the Wildwood pool and caught up with a friend in her car. On Thursday, Lexi had an appt to get her first covid vaccine. She waited because she is still breastfeeding and wanted to be safe, but felt like being here surrounded by family was probably the best time. She wasn’t feeling 100%, so they had her take a covid test instead. She continued to feel sick that day, and then I started feeling sick too. 

My dad came over everyday to spend time with Lexi and the boys. He brought dinner that night since Lu and I weren’t feeling well. By Friday I was feeling pretty terrible. I had a horrible headache and felt achey and cold/hot. Matt took me to get a covid test, and got one himself while we were at it. Alli came down from Baltimore that day and cut the girls hair. 

By Saturday lexi was feeling better, but that was a terrible day for me, and my dad had started feeling sick too. Laney came and “checked on me” while I was napping, and when I woke up to see what she was doing she told me how crazy it was that Lexi’s test was positive. I couldn’t believe it. After all this time, being so careful, so many scares and so many times quarantining, we finally got the covid. 

We immediately started texting and calling people to let them know. I let Tracie know and she informed everyone that had been at the activity. Matt let the youth leaders know since Adi had been at the youth activity. Lexi texted Erick and we let Amy and Alli and my dad know. Then I texted my friend who’s car I had spent time in, and she had started feeling sick too. It was such a fiasco and I felt so sick and emotional. 

That night Lexi realized she couldn’t smell, and I found that I could barely taste. Sunday was another awful day. My dad and i were super sick, the babies were both a little warm and with runny noses, and D spent the day on the couch with a headache too. We found out another friend from the RS activity tested positive. 

By Monday I was feeling a tiny bit better. We picked up papa, and everyone, including Emmett, got tested. By that day the boys and Laney were fine, but Adi had started to feel sick, and Frankie swore she couldn’t smell. I made chicken noodle soup and took some to my dads. That completely wore me out, but I was on the up and up from then. I found out my test from Friday was positive, but Matt’s was negative. My car friend had started feeling awful. She tested positive that day, then her husband and both kids. 

Everyday after that I felt a little bit better. I was still on the couch the better part of everyday, and couldn’t taste or smell anything, but I didn’t feel like death. Adi felt pretty miserable and Matt started to feel sick. Also another friend from RS’s husband had to be tested for work and he tested positive, and the rest of their gang started to feel sick. 

By Wednesday everyone’s test, including Matt’s rapid one, had come back positive, no surprise there. I was also able to get my dad into the ER for a monoclonal antibody treatment. I was anxious for him, but felt like with the vaccine and the treatment, we’d really done what we could. 

I had a lot of time to think about where we might have picked up our covid. Amy and her family in NY, all 5 tested negative, so statistically I’d say we had to have gotten it here, either at Salsa’s, or more likely at Tracie’s on Tuesday. Sarah and crew, and Erick, who were both in our home for many hours on Wednesday were all fine, and Erick actually tested negative. None of the other youth tested positive, and Alli was fine as well. It really doesn’t matter, but we tried to be so careful, and it makes me feel better to know the crazy covid outbreak didn’t originate with us.

Thankfully Matt never got too sick, he was able to work through the whole thing. Also thankfully my dad slowly started to feel better too. It has been a slow recovery for both of us, but I’m so thankful we’re both doing so well. 

The day lexi tested positive, the First Presidency of the church sent out a letter encouraging all members to get vaccinated and wear their masks. 

I was so sad that our special time with the boys was spent so sick that I couldn’t really enjoy them. I wanted to so bad, but I really felt too terrible. And it was so hot outside too, so Emmett was basically cooped up in the house. I’m still so bummed about it. Those were hard days with 2 busy babies. 

And unfortunately, humbling days. I wish being sick didn’t work so well to humble me because, like everyone, I really hate being sick.  But it does. It gives me such perspective and helps me to be so much more gentle and patient. I’m grateful that our family relationships grew stronger in our trial . And also that that emotional and awful week is behind us. 

I called the health department to find out which strain we had and they told me they only test randomly, but that every test they had in August was Delta, so I’m sure that’s what we had. 

The whole country had high transmission. 

From the end of June to the beginning of august, covid cases went up over 1000%.  1016% increase! We were wearing our masks, but things changed so quickly!

I wish that was the end of our covid saga, but dun, dun, dunnnnn, it’s not. But enough for now. And even though we should be safe for the next few months, we are masking, masking, masking. 







1 comment:

FloridaMimi said...

I’m so sorry! Covid is a nightmare!

We haven’t had it but The whole world is upside down!

I’m glad you all recovered