Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Mainely

First of all, the very first town we drove through in Maine had a “Maine Street” instead of plain old “Main Street,” and we’d hoped every town did that, but no. Many did, and that extra E was incorporated in many cute business names. Sad missed opportunities for those that didn’t use it.  

Our last day in Maine found us still not having eaten a Maine lobster and we headed out to remedy that situation first thing. Also, that night was sooo cold and Amy and I got a terrible nights sleep because we just had 2 blankets, which were fine the first 2 nights but not the 3rd. I tried to cuddle with her but she wasn’t really into it. Cold camping is so miserable! The kids were all snug as bugs in warm rugs in their nice sleeping bags.

But back to lobster. 

We had seen this cute little lobster shack and since we really just wanted to share one lobster roll and we aren’t fancy, we stopped there. Q and D both got stuffed lobsters as souvenirs and requested pics at our lobster shack. 

That little sandwich there is the most expensive little sandwich I have ever bought. That is a $30 sandwich! $35 with the tip because I def needed someone to walk it from the window over to me. When he gave me my total Amy and I whipped our heads to the menu, but of course they don’t list prices. I had to clarify that I just wanted the one lobster roll. He said “you don’t order lobster much, do you?” And we laughed and laughed. I’m glad we tried it and also I don’t think I’d need to try it again. 

The car ride home got crazy when max and Delaney started a dance party. 

After awhile I let them play games on the iPad and it was cute watching them work together. 

We checked out Portland on our way home. First stop - The Holy Donut. 

We had read that was the place to go in Portland. They only had coconut left, and they were delightful. 

We drove through their downtown but it was starting to rain and everyone was kind of tired, so we called it a driving tour and carried on. I did manage to squeeze in this cute little Bug Light. 

They modeled it after a Greek monument, isn’t she cute?!

Adi was our photog. 

And then we spied this little cutie behind her. I always love 2 lights for the price of 1. 

That is Spring Point Ledge LH and we could have walked out to see her too, but it was actually raining by this point, so we didn’t. 

Amy took the rest of the kids back, but Adi, my frizzy hair, and I stayed out for a few minutes. 

It’s so sad to visit lights and not be able to go inside!

Goodbye for now, Bug Light. 

SPLL also has a working beacon, so I had to grab a pic of the light on. 

We hit loads of traffic and it made our drive home feel very long. Our dinner plan was also very fluid. I wanted to get some pizza we’d had when we visited the Streeter’s a few years ago, but then decided I didn’t want to add unnecessary time on to our drive. We had pulled in to a Chicfila and just to check I looked at how far Woosters was, and it was only 8 minutes away. We decided to be adventurous, but our first foray took us to the wrong address, so that was added fun. We finally found it and it was in the cutest little mini warehouse food court with adorable outside seating with lights. Seriously perfect group date night spot. 

I sent this to Darlaina and I was so excited! Skippey’s Dare pizza has peanut butter and bacon and it was SO good at the Streeter’s. So we got a large pizza and…. not as good as I remembered. In fact, kind of hard to eat because it had so much pb. Maybe I got the wrong one? So sad. 

We ate in a little room upstairs that was perfect for social distancing and also for loud and rowdy kids that have been traveling all day.

We got home around 10 and unloaded the essentials and got to bed. Maine was stunning and I am definitely in love. I can’t wait to go back!

No comments: