Saturday, January 5, 2019

Route 66 - day 2 - more of Illinois

I want to document our Route 66 trip before I lose any more memories. It was a great trip and we’re all 3 so grateful for the opportunity we had to take it. 

We drove through Bloomington and Normal, which is the home of the original Stake’n’Shake. Unfortunately, that one is closed down, but we did feel it necessary to have something from a S’n’S in the vicinity. So Amy and I split a v difficult to make peppermint shake. We were the first seasonal shake order of the season and the didn’t know which chocolate to use, which held up our shake enjoyment for several minutes. We assured them that any chocolate would do, and then they ended up giving us our shake for free as a military discount. Probably on account of us being so v fun. 

Just look at the fun!

There are lots of giants and giant things to see on Route 66. Here’s the Gemini Giants bro. 

In Atlanta we saw the Bunyon Giant with his trusty hot dog. 🤷‍♀️

And had another selfie contest. Mines the first one and pretty sure I only lost cause dad made me laugh. I did better than Amy at least. 

In Lincoln we found honest Abe driving the worlds largest covered wagon, in Illinois. 

Too bad dads big head blocked out Lincoln in this shot. 

Out of order, but a pretty delicious peppermint milkshake with a mystery chocolate. 

In Springfield we stopped by the cemetery where Lincoln was buried. People are encouraged to rub his nose for good luck, which is why it’s rubbed smooth. 

I sent this to Matt. It says “If a man is alone in the forest with no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?” My guess is, probably. 😂

And back in Atlanta, the whole town was closed down for a funeral. And Amy’s an awesome photo bomber. 

That morning as we were meandering around Pontiac and wasting way too much time, they told us we absolutely had  to eat a Cozy Dog from Cozy’s, and after driving all day, we finally made it. 

These pics are fairly out of order, and the rest probs will be too. I’m blaming dad, because obviously. Part of the problem is that there several different cameras used, and ain’t no one got time to put 100’s of pictures in order. So I’ll do my best, but we all know it’s going to be good enough. 

2 comments:

The Adventures of Smilin' Jack said...

Hahahaha, go ahead an blame me . . . my shoulders are big enough and, predictably with my kids, I am accustomed to bearing that burden. (Wow!! I played the 'Pity Car' pretty quick in this little screed!!)

Love the pics and the things I had forgotten. My best memory of Atlanta was the man riding his lawn-mower down the main road . . . maybe going to the store for some more whatever the comfort food is in Illinois.

You'll find, as you meander along on that wonderful trip that I won more than my fair share of 'Selfie Stand-Offs'. I came out, on the other end of this trip as a Selfie King.

Plus, what about those awesome WaHo Hoodies!! Cool Beans!!

Love. The. Blog!!

The Adventures of Smilin' Jack said...

P.S. That should be "Pity Card" in the above comment.

P.P.S. Don't be surprised and, please, save your snide comments when you see some of these "Never Before Seen" (by me at least) photos on my FB Feed. It's what I do and, as you well know, I do it well. Well, on the note I'll let you go.

L.T.B!!