Thursday, August 3, 2017

'Yaking

Bubba had been wanting to take the girls out kayaking, and Thursday was our day. Delaney, who had been so excited to go, got a mad case of the nerves and decided she didn't want to go after all. 
I knew she'd love it though. So Chris loaded up the kayaks and we hit the wharf. So very nerdy. 

But also so very sweet. 

This dude is handy! 

So the first 5 or 10 minutes of our 'yakking were fraught with tears. Delaney immediately regretted agreeing. She was crying "Let's go back! You won't change my mind! I don't like this!" I knew if she'd just stop crying, she'd love it. But she was fighting hard. I tried all my tricks (breathing, rubbing her arm, songs, distraction) and she was having none of it. 

She was so mad!

It was low tide and we found this little island that the girls liked. That seemed to appease D. Even though she was pouring for this particular picture. 

She also had to go potty, so big brother documented it. 

I love white Summer buns. 😂

The island distraction was just what she needed. She was all smiles after that. She kept saying how much she loved kayaking. I always try to talk to her about how it's ok to be scared and praise how brave she is. I make her repeat "I can do hard things!" and try to get her to understand how strong and brave she is. Oh this girl. 

Chris was a trooper paddling these two big girls. They loved it, bytheway. 

After the 'yakking we hit the new ice cream shop in Leonardtown, Panda Village. 

They have fried ice cream rolls that are super good!

And also super expensive. I had the girls share one because they don't usually finish ice cream and also they hadn't had lunch. Of course they did finish and did want more, but they'll survive. 

Since the kayaks were already on the truck, and that's half the battle, I asked matt if he'd like to take Addie out that evening. 

She said she'd like to try kayaking on her own. 

So they went on a fun daddy daughter date. 

He attached the two kayaks and towed her, but she did paddle a little too. 

Big girl!

Loooooove. 

And crazy selfies too. 
We had another summer dinner or basically whatever the girls could find, and then hit the wooden park with the aina's. The girls played and fought and checked on Isla, and repeat. Sweet day. 

1 comment:

Smilin' Jack said...

Wow!! Great fun with kayaks! How cool!!