Friday, June 12, 2009

Ready or not...

It's here. The last day of school... am I ready??? Ready to keep 2, no make that 3 - forgot about little Addie! - kiddos occupied for 2+ months! We're ready! I mean... I think we're ready... we can handle it right?.... it won't be that bad, I mean we can go do lots of stuff... nervous!

This is the first year in many years that this day hasn't also brought with it my last day of school as well. My freedom. Somehow this last day of school doesn't hold the same magic for me... but it does for the kids, so we will do something magical today. I'm thinking.... close to the water. Love it!

Now don't go thinking I don't like having my kiddos home with me, I do! Remember, they were home with me (or hotel hopping I should say!) the whole months of October and April! So it's like we've already had summer. Uh-huh, already done.

In other news... Miss Addison slept from 10:00-6:00!!! Oh please let this be the start of something good! I hate that at 12 months I am getting as much sleep as I did when we brought her home from the hospital! Aaaannnndddd, she's already down for a nap! A nap she didn't even cry about! Hallelujah! Seriously. Awesome.

I am working at getting back to living. To living in a house. To cooking dinners. To cleaning. To laundry (in my own washer and dryer!). To family scriptures and family prayer. To church callings (1st counselor in Primary!). To being normal again. It feels good but it's been a little while coming, you know making a new normal here, on the opposite side of the country, complete with new routines, schedules, schools, weather (humidity...sticky... icky...).

I am having a hard time getting motivated when there are so many things that need to be done, but not until something else gets done first. And that leaves lots of little things that still need to be done. We are mostly unpacked. I wish we were fully unpacked but like I said, things need to be done for other things to get done. For example, garage shelving units need to be put up to organize said garage so that we can find things like shower curtain hooks which we didn't need in California because all of our showers were like little dungeon rooms that you walked into. Weird, I know. 

Rooms needs to be painted to put up pictures... but what colors! I seriously need a formal living room/dining room color... any ideas? Anyone? Please? 

Oh, and since we're waiting for trusty Lowes to put in some trusty blinds, we've got some trusty (and tacky) boxes in front of our bedroom, and bathroom windows. Yeah, we're getting dressed in the laundry room lately, it's one of the only private places. And I'm sure our neighbors, despite my best efforts, have seen a little more of me than either of us would like. Sigh, oh well.

My favorite day this week was errand day! Wait for it! That involved going to CVS where I pretty much got a free razor for Matt, $1 scented Colgate toothbrushes, and $.40 dish soap. Then on to Giant (which takes Safeway coupons and don't let anyone tell you different!) where my original bill was $39.52 but then with all my coupons came down to $9.64. Who needs drugs when you can get a high like that?! Seriously. 

Then on to the commissary where I used another $20 worth of coupons in addition to getting some other pretty great deals. $1.52 for a gallon of milk! Hello! The only damper on my day was when, while minding my business and very carefully (or so I thought) driving the speed limit on base, I got directed by a Military Police Officer (standing in the middle of the road), to pull over. Hmmmm. After asking if I knew why he pulled me over, and my very innocent "no sir, I don't," he informed me that I had made a left hand turn out of that parking lot (that I pulled into because I turned in the wrong place, because I was lost on the way to the post office, I know, me, lost?!) and that there was absolutely no turning left between the hours of 11:00 and 16:00. Duh. As if everyone should just know that! He took my info and left me there. I, who just seconds before had been basking in the glory of saving $20, now to be getting a ticket that could cost $50-$100! It was too much for me. The tears came, I couldn't help it. I didn't even see a sign! Oh sadness, I hate wasting money! But then... that very nice Military Police Officer wrote me a warning. I coulda kissed him! But I didn't. I wiped my tears and asked for directions to the Post Office. And thanked him profusely. It was a good day!

Coming soon: visiting with the Zunigas and Addies birthday celebration! Can't believe I haven't blogged about those yet! Where, oh where, have I been?!

I know this post is just a bunch of ramblings that don't really go together, but that's kinda where I'm at right now. So there you have it!

2 comments:

Dyer Family said...

I'm sure in about 6-8 weeks I'll be somewhere like that....except my 2 kids I have to entertain all day...good thing theres a pool!! Cant wait to see pics of the house all finished! My anxiety about my life to come is about to boil over...I resort to you, you did it...so can I,right?!

Joy :) said...

Oh my gosh! so many emotions in this post. I am not sure where they ended up. I am sure you will have a great summer.