Monday, April 15, 2024

Such a good weekend

This here is our first ever completely finished family General Conference list. After conference I make a list of all the speakers and for home evening we watch a conference talk for our scripture time, and every time I do want to get through every conference talk and we did this last time! We got behind on our Come Follow Me reading, but what is life if not catching up?

The girls loved being at the temple. 

It’s so wonderful to see so many bright and happy youth there to serve and worship. 

After school on Thursday Frankie, Laney, and I went to get our teeth cleaned. And this week I’ll take adi back for her regular retainer. I’ve been a frequent flyer there for a looong time. 

I had another training that night where they asked such good questions and I didn’t know the answers to any of them. I feel prepared and then whomp whomp. I just like to keep it real real so no one ever gets intimidated around me. 🤣 Delaney and I added a new dance to our repertoire, can you guess which one? We’ve been having fun watching dance tutorials together and it’s a great workout!

Thursday night was also spent getting adi ready for her weekend away at Skills USA, a competition for the Tech Center. It crept up on us and I felt a little blindsided that she’d be staying overnight and her teacher that I know wasn’t even going to be there. She’s almost 16 though and very trustworthy, so we got her prepped and sent her to school Friday morning and off for the weekend! They took a bus to Baltimore at 1:00, had a buffet dinner, stayed in a hotel (with 3 other girls) and competition and awards on Saturday. She didn’t win, which we weren’t surprised and were kind of glad about. Because she was unprepared she didn’t turn in a resume so that was an automatic deduction. This was she won’t have to go to states and can still be a YCL at girls camp and she can try again at Skills next year. 

Matt and I went to the temple Friday. We were taking a selfie as we left and a nice older could offered to take a picture for us. When she held the phone backwards, screen facing us, was when I started to suspect we might not be getting the greatest picture. 

She got most of the temple I guess. And I don’t know why I’m holding on to Matt’s belt buckle like that. 🤷‍♀️

That night we went to the Darrow’s to see Dave and Shelly. It was so great to visit and we didn’t think to get a picture till the end of the night right before we all went home. 

Bryn came over Saturday morning and Frankie and I took her to her lacrosse game. Frankie was “babysitting” so I walked all around Dorsey park. I came upon them cuddling together from the wind before the game and I love that our kids love each other. 
After the babysitting Frankie and Delaney and I switched out winter to summer wardrobes, a job I don’t like but actually wasn’t the worst. With Delaney being the youngest we always have a huge like to get rid of, now just to deal with that. Emma’s birthday party was that night and we all went and enjoyed Cafe Rio salad with the Darrow’s and then brought Curtis to our house to hang out with Frankie. Quick stop at Aldi and brusters first though. 

I wasn’t sure about letting them hang out in the basement alone since they are 14 and I wouldn’t let her hang out down there alone with any other boy, but she and Curtis have been besties since before they were born, so we figured it was probably fine. I did sneak down to check on them a few times, and since I was cooking in the kitchen I could hear them talking the whole time. 

Christian got to put on his dress uniform and be the team lead at a funeral that night. He presented the family with the flag and said  “On behalf of the president of the United States, the United States Army, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one’s honorable and faithful service,” and he made no mistakes. What a wonderful and special service for a mourning family. And he looks so handsome in his fancy uniform!

Sunday was the best day. My whole presidency attended the Calvert ward together and after Sarah was set apart. It was a beautiful prayer and I felt like I had received a blessing too. Then Susanne and I had a temple and family history meeting that was good and productive with Steve and Pres. Darrow then home for a zoom missionary meeting that I conducted and went pretty smoothly. I had asked President Boyd if my counselors could attend with me and he said yes and it was wonderful to have them there. They asked thoughtful questions and after we were able to talk about it and our role. I love everyone I’ve served with, but there’s something really special about these ladies. We are all on the same page and they are ready and willing to go and do. I. Love. It. 

We headed back to the Darrow’s for dinner with them and Dave and Shelly and it was just so wonderful to spend time with Shelly again. I miss their family so much, it was just a lovely refresh. Finally, home for the last meeting of the day, a temple and family history training with Pax. Sarah lead it and did a fabulous job and my presidency counseled togrther for an hour afterwards and left with action items and new ideas and it was just the best weekend. 

1 comment:

Shelly said...

So I've been doing some work for my new business and I mentioned to a friend that I had blog once. Wait, it should still be there. It is!!! Then I saw the long list of friends' blogs I used to follow. Yours. Right at the top. With last update 1 day ago. I can't believe you still do this. It has got to be some sort of record. Absolutely amazing. And thanks for the nice things you said. I miss you all terribly too.