Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sunday, Sunday...

I am always on the lookout for nice, family friendly things to do on Sundays.
We get out of church at 2:00 so that leaves a nice chunk of the day to spend quality time together.

And sitting in front of the tv just isn't cutting the mustard.
Unless we're watching America's Funniest Home Videos.
And eating ice cream.
Cause those are Sunday family traditions.

Anywho.
There are so many historic things to see around here and I think seeing them is a great way to keep the Sabbath day holy and spend time together.
So we packed up the kids one Sunday and headed out to Point Lookout.

It used to be a prisoner of war camp for Confederates during the Civil War.
There are a bunch of monuments and signs that we stopped to look at.
And we discussed how we've become our parents, stopping to read every sign.
Sigh.

Christian humored us at our first stop.

I think it's all so fascinating!

This is the way the kids enjoyed most of our Sunday activities.
Sitting in the car.

We had a good time though!
And we learned a little history to boot.

And even though the kids aren't looking forward to our next Sunday outing, we sure are. :)
Maybe we'll even make them get out of the car next time.

5 comments:

Grandpa S. said...

I wanna go!!

Lana said...

that is a great idea!

The two old crows said...

I love point lookout. That is a good idea to go on outings, maybe the kids will actually start getting out and enjoying.

Heather B said...

This totally cracked me up! Sorry the kids didn't want to leave the car, but good for you for taking advantage of opportunities for together/learning time. Your kids reminded me of the comic strip 'Zits', where the family takes a vacation to the Grand Canyon, etc, and the teenaged son spent the whole trip totally oblivious to it all, with earbuds and video game in place. Ah, teenagers! And thanks for the coupons--you're awesome!! Just email me at hpbugg at hotmail dot com and I'll send you my USPS address. Thanks!

Joy :) said...

That is a great idea! I wish we could do something like that. But I'll just read about yours, again.