Thursday, May 7, 2009

Raising Responsible Kids in an Irresponsible World

A couple weeks ago Matt and I were able to go up to the Washington DC temple -which is soooo beautiful!- visitors center for a parents seminar. It was by Richard and Linda Eyre who laughed at being called "parenting experts." But they have raised 9 kids, written a couple of books, given loads of seminars, and most importantly, been on Oprah. ;)

Matt and I both planned to take notes on at least 5 things that really stood out to us but I found myself taking notes the whole time because they had a lot of really great ideas.

Some of what they talked about were things I had already planned or partially implemented, but it's always good to get a reminder. One of those things was to have a family mission statement, one written and agreed upon by the whole family. They were very big on family meetings and allowing children some say in family issues, thus giving them ownership in the rules and family stuff.

We had started to write a family mission statement after the New Year, but I thought it had to be looooonnnnngggg and detailed, and we were kinda having trouble coming up with what we wanted. The Eyre's gave theirs as an example which was:

Broaden and Contribute

Easy squeezee! We're coming up with ours next Family Home Evening!

The other thing that I really liked was that they had one date night a month devoted to
5 Facet Reviews
That's a time when they talk about each child individually based on how each child is doing using 5 facets:
  • Physically
  • Emotionally
  • Socially
  • Mentally
  • Spiritually
I love this idea! Matt and I had our first date night/review tonight and it was such a good thing! We had open and insightful conversations the whole time. We were able to compare notes on each child and make improvement plans for necessary areas.

I just love, love, love that it gives us a set aside time to be accountable to each other as parents and ultimatley to our kids. It's nice to know that we're on the same page and know whats going on with each child. Sometimes it gets so busy that we don't talk about what's going on or concerns we have. Ya' know how I like lists and schedules so I am super excited about this plan!

Here's to the start of something good!

1 comment:

Camille said...

I think the date/review night is an AMAZING idea!