Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stole another day

We met at the pool at 11 for swim lessons again. Again, it was a beautiful, cool day. Too cool for the pool, we didn't even hit 80 degrees today! BWI tied a record cold temperature for this morning, and the meteorologist that I follow on FB keeps talking about stealing days from July. He says that every July day under 90 degrees is another day we've stolen. we didn't even have our ac on at all today, that's how cool it is! It's fabulous, just not the best for swim lessons. 

Delaney has been pretend playing with her dolls lately. Like, they are talking to each other play. it's pretty cute. (: Yesterday they were pretending that Addie was her mom, so laney would call "mommy?" And when I would reply they would both have to remind me that I was not the mommy, Addie was. 

She also sings primary songs as she plays. She'll be doing a puzzle and break into "I love you, and you love me. Sand and the sea. I love you..." and on and on. Monique is a fabulous music leader and it's fun to hear all of my girls singing the sweet primary songs. 
We left the pool after showers, at 2. I put the girls down for rests and Laura came over. We planned some of our assateauge trip. We decided to camp. We are both nervous about this and it would not really be our first choice, but it is much cheaper, and that matters right about now. I like camping, just not sure I'm up for a big camping trip. I'm sure it will be wonderful though, and when it's through we will be able to check the whole state of Virginia off of our lighthouse list because we will have seen every lighthouse in the state! It'll be our first state completed and it's so exciting!

We had ht'ers tonight and Maggie played for awhile. Then Addie and I worked on her first grade packet. She had a little bit of a rocky patch today. During pool time,  everyone got so cold that we took a park break, but then the 2-year-olds didn't want to leave the park. Since the mc's had just arrived, we let them take the bigger girls and we stayed at the park with the littles.

At one point Addie came over and told me she was ready to go home. She was obviously upset. When she is upset she often cries silently, but her face gives her away every time because it gets all sorts of red. Anyhow, I asked her what was wrong and after not wanting to tell me, and really not wanting to tell me, she tearfully asked if I would be mad at her. I assured her that I would not, and after just a few more cuddles and a little more assurance, she sadly admitted to dunking Frankie. Several times. One of the McCombs had rightfully scolded her, and she was so, so sad. We talked about how dunking new swimmers is not very safe and how she could always tell me anything. Then, after an apology to Frankie, all was right in 6-year-old'ville. 

then tonight she came up and loved on me, and it was so precious. If I had handled things in anger, (which I have been known to do:() she probably wouldn't feel like she could trust me, and I surely wouldn't have gotten the "you're the best mom I ever had," from her like I did during tonight's cuddle fest. 
It's nice to be able look back on a day and feel good about the choices made. It doesn't always happen, so that makes the good days even sweeter. 
Tonight Delaney had a rare (ish) bedtime fit. This entails her throwing everything she can get her hands on out of her crib. A few minutes of crying and then she snaps back into her senses. Then she calls for one of us, and we get to go back to her room and help her put all of her things back into her bed. She directs the effort with "and that dolly. And that baby. And not that book. And that blankie." And she like everything just-so too. Her comforter hangs on the front of the crib every.time. Without exception. Thankfully, the bedtime fits don't happen often. Anymore. 

Lexi hung out with us while the ht'ers visited, so that was nice. When Chris got off work, those two went to chipotle. Chris wanted to go, so he treated. I'm glad that they are close. I hope that as she leaves for school and their lives take them in different directions, that they will stay close. The PIC's. (partners in crime)

No comments: