Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Norfolk

I woke up for the summer solstice. I immediately regretted my decision because I’m still not sleeping well, but I was awake so I got the shot - 5:13am. 

Matt has been cross assigned with the navy for a few years now. This has caused much confusion and heartache, but for this weeks it’s been amazing. He’s doing his annual training and we got to join him - yay!

We packed up our leftover from Adi’s party pizza into bubba’s truck and headed down to Virginia. We left at noon because it’s summer and see above about sleeping. 

We finally made it and this place is really beautiful. Our hotel is right on the Elizabeth River and there’s a 10th floor “Members Only” lounge and I’m not sure why were “members,” but we are so we’re not questioning it. 

We made Adi’s dream come true and rode the rail from one end to the other and back again. 

This was right after we all held a very friendly mans pet parakeets - Romeo and Dalton. They obediently hopped on to each of our fingers and then right back onto the owners shoulders. The things you see. 

“I’m a pole dancer! I dance on a pole!” šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

We checked out the mall, and bumpkins gonna bumpkin. “Can I ride the escalator up and down? Can I ride in the clear elevator? Can I ride the escalator by myself?” And repeat. 

We walked along the river and Miss D found her letter. 

They’re all about The Tide here. Their light rail and minor league baseball team are both The Tide and she’s all around town. 

This started off innocent enough. The pole dancer is also a water dancer and happily pranced through the fountains.

Within about 10 minutes she was soaking, still happily dancing though. It was fun to watch people as they walked past her. Happy kids bring joy, even just in passing. 

It was a perfect evening. 

Matt took the girls to the pool and I walked to the parking garage - twice because I forgot something - and managed to catch the sun right at sunset. This world is so beautiful. God loves us. 

This morning Matt headed to work and we went upstairs to our special “Members Only” brekkie. Adi and Frankie got normal size breakfasts. 

And then there’s D. She is growing and eating more than normal, but this was a little much. 

We discovered there’s a military beach called Dam Neck. I had the girls say it a few times to get it out of their systems. It was so perfect! Parked right at the dunes, it was clean, not crowded, several lifeguards. 

The water was cold but not bitter and once you got used to it it was ok. 

See how no one is in the water here? This was our second 45 minute break because there was a baby shark swimming close to shore. We actually saw tons of dorsal fins, probably all dolphins, but there were a few questionable fins intermingled. 

Matt met us out there and we bobbed together in the waves. I told the girls again how I loved them when they were babies, but I dreamed of the day we’d all be able to play in the water together and how much I love them now. 

Then it rained and we swam in the rain and then Frankie yelled at us to get out and had a meltdown. She gets real anxious. We packed up during a dry stretch and it was so nice to have bubbas truck to throw all our wet gear into. We stopped by their awesome Exchange to buy Matt a rash guard, every step in my wet suit was cold, and got a late lunch/early dinner from their food court, and then back to the hotel. 

All showered up and safe and dry from the storm. 



No comments: